By Clete Hux – Five Percent is a splinter group of the Nation of Islam, “Five Percent” is also known as the “Nation of Gods and Earths.” That phrase refers to one of the basic tenets of the Five Percent movement: blacks are gods and women are earths.
The Five Percenters are a splinter group that broke away from the Nation of Islam (NOI) in 1964, under the leadership of Clarence “Pudding” 13X. The name is derived from their belief that they are the chosen five percent of humanity who live a righteous “Islamic” life and thereby have manifested the “true divine nature of the black man who is God or Allah.”
This group rather than the NOI was primarily responsible for disseminating, popularizing and reinterpreting the “Lessons” or teachings of Elijah Muhammad among the adolescent generation of the sixties in the New York metropolitan area. In the twenty-five years since, the influence of The Five Percent Nation or The Nation of Gods and Earths (as they are now known) has grown enormously many of the lyrics in contemporary rap music make direct reference or strong allusion to Five Percenter ideology.
- Source: Yusuf Nuruddin, The Five Percenters: A Teenage Nation of Gods and Earths. Chapter 5 from Muslim communities in North America” Albany, N. Y. : State University of New York Press, c1994.
Members of this black supremacist movement are known as “Five Percenters.” “Five Percent” refers to the belief that only five percent of all people knows and teaches the truth. Ten percent conspires to hide the truth. 85 percent of humanity is considered mentally dead and ignorantly destroys itself through vice and immorality
The movement calls itself “a culture” and “a way of life” and rejects being called a religion. It’s teachings are referred to as “Supreme Mathematics.”
Social science professor Yusuf Nuruddin of Medgar Evers College in New York considers Five Percent to be a black supremacist movement. The movement itself says it is not anti-white or pro-black.
- That black people are the original people of the planet earth.
- That black people are the fathers and mothers of civilization.
- That the science of Supreme Mathematics is the key to understanding man’s relationship to the universe.
- Islam is a natural way of life, not a religion.
- That education should be fashioned to enable us to be self sufficient as a people.
- That each one should teach one according to their knowledge.
- That the blackman is god and his proper name is ALLAH. Arm, Leg, Leg, Arm, Head.
- That our children are our link to the future and they must be nurtured, respected, loved, protected and educated.
- That the unified black family is the vital building block of the nation.
- Source: What we teach, The 5% Network